How Long Will Your United States Visa Allow You To Stay?
10 years. Some visas are valid for multiple entries.
The Length of stay in the United States visa is determined by US immigration officials at the time of entry, but is generally 6 months. For extensions and further information, apply to the US Immigration and Naturalization Service.
When you enter the United States on a Student Visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status. That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in the United States of America.
For a student who has completed the courses of studies show on the I-20, and any authorized practical training, the student is allowed the following additional time in the U.S. before departure:
- F-1 Student: An additional 60 days, to prepare for departure from the U.S. or to transfer to another school.
- M-1 Student: An additional 30 days to depart the U.S. (Fixed time period, in total not to exceed one year)
The 30 days to prepare for departure is permitted as long as the student maintained a full course of study and maintained status. An M-1 student may receive extensions up to three years for the total program.
Embassy contact information
Please contact the nearest United States Embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter the USA.
- The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith.
- The use of this website is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.
Source and Copyright:
The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owners is the
- The United States Department of State- URL: travel.state.gov
- Nepal Embassy of the United States – nepal.usembassy.gov
The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user’s own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.